As for Python
Myself, I’m a Ruby hacker. I send everyone within earshot to TryRuby, code my sites using Rails, am surprised that I’m using a php-based blog… you get the picture. Ruby is sometimes called the Japanese Python, and comparisons are inevitable. I know very little about Python, but I do know that…
- It has a larger community
- More GUI applications are written in it
- More bindings are available for it
- Its interpreter is much faster
- Not a far inferior language
Ruby certainly does have its advantages over it - trivial class expansion, extremely concise syntax, seemingly better-suited for heavy usage of closures, and Matz. Ya gotta love Matz.
I will be giving Python a try soon… I love learning new programming languages. That’s why I’m taking Programming Languages this coming semester.